Saturday 19 May 2012

Kicking things off with a bit of Fargo cake

Though the focus of this blog will probably (inevitably) veer more towards comics than cakery, a fun bit of cakery from my past seemed like a good place to start.

This requires a little bit of back story. When I first started my MA in Film and Literature at the University of York, I happened to befriend someone who would turn out to be my perfect partner in cake-based crime. Steph doesn't just enjoy baking: Steph enjoys creating cake spectacles. Whilst - control freak that I am - I was happy to follow a recipe to the letter and enjoy the delicious, calorific results, I soon discovered that Steph liked to take that tasty, heart-attack-inducing goodness and turn it into a work of art. It wasn't long after I met her that I heard about the "ginger pope cake" she had made for a friend. It pretty much did what it said on the tin: it was designed to look like a ginger, female pope: ornate robe and all. (If anyone ever chances upon Steph, ask to see pictures. In fact, you should immediately go check out her blog, which currently has "a collage of cake" on display).

Anyway, to cut a long story short: we discovered that our friend's birthday was coming up, and decided to combine forces to make a memorable cake for him. Our friend, I should point out, was starting a Ph.D. on the films of the Coen brothers. So, without further ado, I present our Fargo cake:



What do you mean it looks morbid? Why shouldn't you spell Happy Birthday in (fake) blood? 

Or have an icing corpse on a cake? 

...with a silver icing ball to represent a bullet in his back? 

Well, to each their own I suppose. But at least Nathan (the birthday boy) seemed to enjoy it. Plus, it was full of delicious carrot cakey goodness on the inside (from the Hummingbird Bakery recipe, which can be found here). 

For anyone who hasn't seen Fargo and is wondering why our cake came out looking like it did, here's the film poster that we used as inspiration:


Also, why haven't you seen Fargo? Go and watch it now. Go on. 

...I'll wait, it's OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment